Saturday, June 6, 2009

Meet Our Team - Laura Loeb Hill

Hi! I am Laura and I am the only Deaf team member that will be traveling to Jamaica to work at Carribean Christian Centre for the Deaf with 5 other team members. I will be presenting workshops on teaching Reading to the Deaf.

I grew up in a Christian home and attended Silent Friends Chapel, First Baptist Church of Dallas all my life. I met my husband at Texas Baptist Conference of the Deaf in 1995. It was love at first sight, we were united in marriage in 1997 and will be celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary on June 21st. We have two precious children - Dakota (9) is hearing and Lexi (7) is deaf. We are currently members of First Baptist Church of Euless and have been there since November 2006. Dirk and I currently serve as team leaders in our Connections Class. We oversee 6 different couples and minister to them on a weekly basis. Dirk is also an ordained Pastor and he has been preaching for Bethel Deaf Fellowship in Fayetteville, Arkansas since April of 2009 by sending his sermons on a weekly basis on our website. We are excited to see what God has in store for us in this ministry.

I graduated from Texas Woman's University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I also have a Master of Science degree in Deaf Education from Texas Woman's University as well. I am a teacher at Birdville High School in the Birdville Independent School District. I just completed my 3rd year teaching American Sign Language to hearing students. I have 16 years of teaching experience and have taught Deaf students for 12 of those 16 years.

I am excited about being a part of this mission trip. I previously served as a short-term missionary for three weeks in Czech Republic and learned so much about working with the Deaf in Eastern Europe. I am excited to see what God has planned for me as I go to Jamaica and work with the teachers there. Not only will we be teaching workshops, we will be providing discipleship training and it will be amazing to see what God allows us to do while we are in Jamaica.

We are still raising financial support for this trip. We also covet your prayers for us as we prepare for this trip. I am honored to be a part of this team and am excited to see the outcome. May God bless each one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment